Question about configure/Makefile

Hi,

I was trying to beautify the compilation of wmaker, so that instead of
all those long messages

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../wrlib -I../WINGs -I/usr/local/include    -DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/local/lib/locale\"  -fno-strict-aliasing -g -O2 -c
actions.c
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../wrlib -I../WINGs -I/usr/local/include    -DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/local/lib/locale\"  -fno-strict-aliasing -g -O2 -c
appicon.c

now I have something like this,

Compiling actions.o
Compiling appicon.o
Compiling application.o
Compiling appmenu.o
Compiling balloon.o
Compiling client.o
Compiling colormap.o
Compiling cycling.o
Compiling defaults.o
defaults.c: In function ‘wReadDefaults’:
defaults.c:1446: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
defaults.c:1457: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
defaults.c:1471: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
defaults.c:1486: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
Compiling dialog.o
Compiling dock.o
Compiling dockedapp.o
Compiling event.o

I could do it by modifying the Makefiles by hand, so that where it
was written

.c.o:
	$(COMPILE) -c $<

I changed it to

.c.o:
	@ echo Compiling $@
	@ $(COMPILE) -c $<

But obviously I would like to generate those lines automatically.
Does anybody know how to do that?

I think that I should modify the 'configure' script, but I am not
sure if that is the right place, or how I could do that.

Does anybody have any experience with this and can point me to
a possible solution?

Thanks,
Carlos