Re: Attempt to beautify compilation

Dan Pascu wrote:
> On Monday 03 November 2008, Carlos R. Mafra wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I tried to streamline the compilation messages and I managed
>> to reduce the noise a bit. It is not as good as I wanted to,
>> but it is at least a beginning.
>>
>> I added an option --enable-beauty=yes/no to reduce the
>> verbosity of gcc messages. The idea is that this option
>> introduces a variable QUIET, which is set to '@echo Compiling $@'
>> when the user wants to reduce the noise.
>
> --enable-beauty is a _very_ confusing switch. What does it mean? My first
> guess it would be that it has something to do with how wmaker looks...

I agree with you, the name was a bad choice. It should be something like
--disable-compilation-noise or something like that.

But yesterday was my very first take on this. I had never looked at these
kind of things before (configure and Makefiles), so for me it was
a proof-of-concept test.

It is not perfect yet, but as you can see in the compilation log here

www.aei.mpg.de/~users/crmafra/compile_log.txt

the noise has reduced a lot.

But I don't see where the messages like

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../src -I/usr/local/include -g -O2 -c LookupCmap.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/LookupCmap.o
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../src -I/usr/local/include -g -O2 -c LookupCmap.c -o LookupCmap.o >/dev/null 2>&1

are coming from in the wrlib/Makefile, nor how I can avoid the messages from compilations with $(LIBTOOL) like
this one

/bin/sh ../../libtool --tag=CC   --mode=link gcc  -g -O2   -o connect connect.o ../../WINGs/libWUtil.a -L/usr/local/lib

Of course, if I modify the Makefile to have

LINK = $(QUIET)$(LIBTOOL) --tag=CC [....]

instead of

LINK = $(LIBTOOL) --tag=CC [....]

then the messages go away. But so far I haven't been able to redefine it from the Makefile.am
I tried things like

LINK = @QUIET@ $(LINK)  or LINK = $(QUIET)$(LINK)

in Makefile.am but with no success.

Anyway, I will keep trying. I posted my attemps to the list with the hope somebody with experience
would say "ah...you have to do this!", but I guess it is not that simple :-)