Re: Problem with special keys as shortcuts

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 5:22 PM, Renato Botelho <rbgarga@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Renato Botelho <rbgarga@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> Is nice to see development is backing :)
>>
>> So, i'm using windowmaker at FreeBSD and found a problem yesterday.
>> I've started to use a Sun Type 7 Keyboard, and it has some special keys,
>> xorg was configured to recognize these keys and they worked fine. But,
>> I add some shortcuts on some menu itens using these keys, when I add
>> and save, it works like a charm, but after restart wmaker, it stops working,
>> actually, the name of the key don't appear on right side of menu anymore,
>> but, the key is still configured inside WMRootMenu, like you can see at this
>> entry:
>>
>> (Run..., SHORTCUT, SunOpen, EXEC, gmrun),
>>
>> SunOpen is the name of special key, it seems to be a bug, IMHO, what
>> do you think?
>
> Just complementing information, when X starts I got some "invalid key
> in shortcut" message, i took a look at the code and the problem seems
> to happen here in src/wmrootmenu.c:
>
>    ptr->keycode = XKeysymToKeycode(dpy, ksym);
>    if (ptr->keycode==0) {
>        wwarning(_("%s:invalid key in shortcut \"%s\" for entry %s"), file,
>                 shortcutDefinition, entry->text);
>        wfree(ptr);
>        return False;
>    }
>
> XKeysymToKeycode seems to return 0 for it, but after wmaker starts
> up, if I just change shortcut it works fine.

Hi Renato,

So what is the status of this now?

You said:

> XKeysymToKeycode seems to return 0 for it, but after wmaker starts
> up, if I just change shortcut it works fine.

How do you change the shortcut after wmaker starts? By hand in the config file
or using WPrefs with that button to "capture" the key you type? And do you
change the shortcut to the _same_ value it had before or another one?

Did you try with other special keys or this problem happens only for this
particular "SunOpen" key?

This last weekend I configured the special keys in my Vaio to be shortcuts of
menu items in wmaker and it works fine. I have things like this in WMRootMenu:

(
        "Vol Up",
        SHORTCUT,
        XF86AudioRaiseVolume,
        EXEC,
        "amixer set Master 10+%"
      ),

and these things work even after getting out of wmaker and coming back
later.

[   By the way, I was wondering if there is an easier way to make wmaker
react to the special keys instead of having to add menu items, because
the menu becomes full of stuff this way and I had to hide them in some
very nested submenu   ]

Regards,
Carlos