Re: Shortcuts patch (was Re: Path to 0.92.1)

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 6:26 PM, Carlos R. Mafra <crmafra2@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Hm, how does it work?
>> >
>> > Suppose I want to have shortcuts to some applications (e.g., call
>> > 'amixer set Master 10+%' by pressing some multimedia key).
>> > What should I do if I am going to use your patch?
>> >
>> > I could try to guess by reading the diff, but it is easier to ask the
>> > intentions first and see the code later :-)
>>
>> It won't help you in this case, with this patch, when you
>> add a dock on docker or on clipping, you can click on it
>> with right button, go to Settings, and near Icon Image you
>> will have an option to add a shortcut.
>
> Hm, I compiled your patch but I see no option to add the shortcut.
> Do I have to enable something? In the patch description from the
> link above you say it is off by default, but I can't see where
> I can turn in on.

It's off by default at FreeBSD ports, if you don't check it, it simply
doesn't apply the patch. There is no option to enable it, just applied
and it worled fine for me.

Here you can see an example of Docked Application Settings panel
with Shortcut option.

http://people.freebsd.org/~garga/screenshots/2008-11-06-090844_1280x960_scrot.png

>> The only difference is you don't need to add on menu the
>> same item you have docked just to use a shortcut.
>
> Hm, that is not what I want indeed.
>
> Ideally I would like to have a configuration file inside ~/GNUstep
> which would accept something like this
>
> <keyboard-shortcut>  "command to execute"

Personally, i don't like this kind of stuff, when I came from fluxbox
to wmaker, one of the stuffs i really liked was don't need to edit
a bunch of config files, I believe the ideal is to change the shortcut
panel at WPrefs to permit you to add custom commands, it would
be a cleaner solution.

--
Renato Botelho