Obtaining max resolution in multi-head displays ?

I use a dual-head display, virtual screen res: 2560x1024. When max'ing windows via the wmaker maximize cmd, the window resizes to one head only, ie. 1280x1024. Using the full virtual screen across the heads requires using the mouse to drag the window border around. How do I get the maximize cmd to use the full virtual screen (or more generically, some arbitrary res) ?

My software config:
$ wmaker --version
Window Maker 0.92.0
$ Xorg -version
This is a pre-release version of the X server from The X.Org Foundation.
X.Org X Server 1.4.0.90
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux Ubuntu (xorg-server 2:1.4.1~git20080131-1ubuntu9.2)
$ lsb_release -a
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release:        8.04
Codename:       hardy