Re: how to add a new keyboard shortcut action

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 6:28 PM, Valmor de Almeida <val.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to add a new kbd shortcut action like Restart WindowMaker? or
> Exit? or even any other action a user may like?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Valmor

Actually you can add shortcuts to commands existing in your menu.
From the menu editor, or by hand in ~/GNUstep/Defaults/WMRootMenu
eg: (XTerm, EXEC, "xterm -sb -sl 2000 -bg black -fg white")

There is also a patch from Renato Botelho
(http://lists.windowmaker.info/dev/msg00080.html)
that can help you to set shortcuts from appicons.

I have no knowledge about shortcuts with no menu item in 100% 'GUI' mode
but you can remove the label of a command in  your menu so it
disappears from your menu.

But my preferred way is text editing the whole process.
Edit the menu file with say this line
(, SHORTCUT, "Mod1+F5", EXEC, "xclock")
See there's no label for menu. so there's no entry for your menu but it exists.
You' may encounter a problem in executing this for the first time,
if so add a fake temporary label to it and execute it by clicking on
your xclock menu.
Once you did, try the shortcut, remove the label and here you go.

regards