From: cezary m. kruk [mailto:cezary.kruk@poczta.wp.pl]
Sent: Sat 9/12/2009 12:13 AM
To: wmaker-user@lists.windowmaker.info
Subject: The present and the future of Window Maker

Dear John H. Robinson, IV,

I like to read your ambition schedule described here:
http://lists.windowmaker.info/user/msg00055.html. Now let me tell what I
think about the present and the future of Window Maker...

I follow Window Maker home page from time to time and I don't see any
progress. Yes, I know. You answer to the questions about website that
you don't edit it. But you get a roadmap. You could tell the guys
handling web interface to put some information on the main page from
time to time. The newest note on that page has over 14 months and says:
``windowmaker.info has been brought online as of early July, 2008. We
are currently working on reimplementing the site in a more modern, safe
fashion, while at the same time restoring all services required for
development and communication''. Similar information is on Wikipedia
page of Window Maker. It doesn't look like the project is alive. It
isn't difficult to write every three months a short note describing the
progress of the work on the project and to put it on the home page. Let
the people know that the project still lives.

I follow developer list and I see the plans are ambitious. I see too new
forks growing from the main CVS. I see everything but the end of these
activities. The last version of Window Maker was released four years
ago. In the world of computing it's the whole generation (or maybe
three). I used for a few months Window Maker version 0.92.1pre. It
worked flawlessly. The only bug I found was Info window announcing
version 0.92.0. In my opinion version 0.92.1pre was a pretty good
candidate to release it officially. It's good idea to release a new
version of the program at least once a year. Let the people know that
the project still lives.

Someone above complained about the lack of a file manager for Window
Maker. In fact there were at least three such projects: FSViewer,
WMfinder and GWorkspace. Now FSViewer is dead, WMfinder disappeared from
the Internet and GWorkspace uses a strange installer. Old Window Maker
users use Midnight Commander and don't need any graphical file manager.
But the new breed of users considers Midnight Commander strange and
uncomfortable. They need GUI. File manager isn't very urgent project but
I think you could add it at the end of your schedule.

As I said at the beginning your schedule is ambitious. Schedule
described on windowmaker.info is ambitious too. It seems to me you are
too ambitious. If you can't release full new version every year, release
instead of it 0.92.1pre1, 0.92.1pre2, 0.92.1pre3 etc. And put a few
sentences on the home page every three months. Fixing bugs and coding
new features are great fun. But you don't do it just for fun but also
for users. The project without users hasn't sense.

I'm LinuxQuestions.org member. Reading and writing posts there I met
only two or three Window Maker users except me. The new breed of power
users uses Xfce or Fluxbox but not Window Maker. Almost nobody uses it
because from users' point of view that project is dead. From your point
of view it's alive but you don't manage that project for yourself only
so you should take into consideration users' opinions. The project is
strong when it has a lot of users. It has a lot of users when it's
alive. What to do to make Window Maker alive I described above.

I wrote these bitter words because I'm worry about the future of Window
Maker. As yet people and things disappear. First disappeared Window
Maker users. Next the entire http://dockapps.org/. Dockable applications
are an essence of Window Maker. They make it unique. Users love them. I
hope you'll help in make them accessible soon by encouraging maintainers
of dockapps.org or by taking control over these tiny programs.

Your sincerely,

--